If you know me even remotely, you know I’ve been singing this song for a long time…let’s take action to change Federal Way’s image. Lately, there are a number of initiatives aimed at accomplishing this.
One that comes to mind is Federal Way First, a Chamber project that started as a grassroots movement of local businesses that wanted to institute a STRONG shop local campaign in which consumers and businesses made their purchases local; one in which local businesses purchased from other local businesses; and one in which non-FW consumers and businesses came to Federal Way for shopping and business opportunities.
According to the Chamber, “If everyone in Federal Way, including businesses, spent just 1 percent more in Federal Way than they currently do, it would equal $22 million. What would you do with $22 million? In Federal Way this $22 million could enhance city projects through taxes. It could support local non-profits such as the Boys and Girls Club, FUSION and the Multi-Service Center, and it could increase the success and prosperity of our community’s business owners.”
Another project, one I’m developing in collaboration with EVI Productions and The Federal Way Mirror, is to produce a news program specific to Federal Way to take control of our image back from the network news channels.
If you haven’t stated it yourself, you’ve undoubtedly heard someone express frustration at the way the outside-FW-media portrays our city. It seems negative stories about FW are hot items, but positive news doesn’t make the cut. This has a huge impact on our community image results in a negative impact on our economy.
So, we’re launching a survey to validate our assumptions about whether a news program would be welcome and watched by Federal Way residents and business owners. (Please note, this is a REAL news program, not a magazine format program like Connections, which is on Ch. 21.) So far, without giving details about content results, I can say that the response rate is phenomenal. At present, it is at 30%, which far exceeds most survey response rates of between 2% and 5%.
Below is the concept overview that is on the online survey. If you would like to take the survey and haven’t received an invitation, please contact me at email@example.com.
Overview of the news program as stated in the survey:
This project is being created to increase the positive perception of Federal Way within and outside of our community and to have a positive impact on the economic vitality of the city. Combined with other measures that are underway, the increased positive image could result in more businesses moving to Federal Way, more consumers using their purchasing power at Federal Way businesses, and more businesses patronizing other local businesses. This, in turn, increases both commercial and residential real estate occupancy and the overall quality of life for city residents. Of course, there are many other intangible benefits of changing the perception of our city.
Utilizing the Journalistic Code of Ethics and balanced investigative reporting, the objectives are:
• To provide hard-hitting news and feature news about Federal Way and the community.
• To create a news program with the number one goal of increasing the positive perception of Federal Way within its own community, within surrounding communities, and within the larger, urban areas of Seattle and Tacoma.
• To increase the number of positive stories about Federal Way on network news programs and/or decrease the number of negative stories or the repetition of negative news stories by 10 percent.
• To provide Federal Way based businesses and the Federal Way Chamber of Commerce with a broadcast venue for disseminating NEWSWORTHY business related news to the community.
• To provide a platform through which the city of Federal Way can highlight positive, NEWSWORTHY information.
• To provide a platform through which the Federal Way School District can highlight positive, NEWSWORTHY information.
• To highlight NEWSWORTHY community events, community members, and community offerings. (Examples may include Knutzen Theater, FW Symphony, various charitable organizations, everyday volunteers, focus on students, sports features, etc.)
• To increase the marketability of Federal Way commercial real estate by establishing the value proposition of living and working in Federal Way, thus having a positive impact on economic development.